Monday, March 5, 2012

Where do you come up with those jokes?

I need a sermon illustration, fo something funny.

Not being on a daily schedule, I have the luxury to let jokes come to me during the course of my pretty mundane day. Within a week, I can usually find a situation that just needs a little exaggeration to make it into a joke. But some weeks, I just come up dry. I know this comic was written very literally. I probably said that exact phrase to my blank piece of paper and luckily I was open enough to recognize the action as a joke in itself.

I bet some sermons are like that. The pastor has a point to make, but try as he might, the illustrations are as elusive as ...
as hard to come up with as ...
... er, you get the idea. Anyway, there's my process for all of you who asked*.

If you are a fan of Finding Elim, let me know by sending me an email, or joining the fan club at http://www.facebook.com/FindingElim

* well, really the only person who asked was the janitor at the bus station and I think he only wanted to break the ice before asking me to lift my feet so he could mop.

No comments: